Wednesday 15 February 2012

unit 10 grammar " wishes and regret "


Behavioral Objectives:- to express wishes and regrets using (wish and if only)
 
                                          
Behavioral Objectives

Grammar
Wishes and regrets


To express wishes we use     I wish / if only
1- In the future we use :     
    I wish / if only + I (we) + could +inf. -----------
    I wish / if only +(other pronous) + would + inf. ------
 I wish I could visit Germany next week.
 I wish he would pass next exam.
2-In the present we use:            
     I wish / If only + subject+ past simple
 He wishes he were taller.
 I wish the weather weren't hot now. If only I had a car.
3- In the past we use:
              I wish / if only +subject + past perfect
 I wish I had read the questions carefully.
 If only he had come earlier.
 I wish you hadn't wasted so much time.
 If only he had studied hard, he would have got high marks.
Flowchart: Multidocument: Exercises


1– Choose the correct answer from a, b , c , or d :
1 – I wish I ----------------- travel abroad next year.
a – will                      b – can                c – could             d – would
2 – If only - --------- with them now.
a – am                      b – were               c – had been       d – will be
3 – He wishes he ---------------- his PHD next month.
a – would get            b – will get          c – gets               d – had got
4 – If only I ----- my exams last year.
a – passed                b – could pass     c – would pass     d – had passed
5 – I wish to ------------------------ a gold medal next time.
a – will win               b – would win       c – could win       d – win
6 – I wish he ---------------- his car last week.
a – wouldn't sell        b – hadn't sold      c – didn't sell     d – couldn't sell
7 – If only I -------------------- short.
a – didn't                  b – couldn't          c – weren't         d – wouldn't
8 – I wish you ------------------ fine now.
a – is                        b – were                c – would be      d – had been
9 – I wish you --------the new film on TV last night.
a – had seen             b – saw                 c – have seen     d – would see
10 – If only we ---------London next year.
a – will visit              b – are visiting      c – could visit    d – had visited
11 – I wish our team ------------ the match yesterday.
a – hadn't lost         b – didn't lose    c – wouldn't lose    d – couldn't lose
12 – I wish he ------the party with us yesterday.
a – attended                                        b – had attended
c – could attend                                  d – will attend
13 – I am sorry that I ----------------- your camera.
a – lose                b – lost                  c – am losing        d – will lose
14 – I regret ----------------- the old man, I shouldn't have done this.
a – insult             b – to insult            c – insulted         d – insulting
15 – I dream of ------------------------- high marks .
a – get                 b – to get               c – getting           d - gets
2 – Find the mistakes and write the sentences correctly :
1 – I wish the school holidays are longer.
2 – If only I haven't forgotten where I put my mobile.
3 – Leila wishes she can read now.
4 – I wish I had sleep well last night.
5 – I wish I didn't lent her my dictionary last week.

Best wishes

No comments: