Tuesday 16 April 2024

Reported Verbs

Reporting verbs

Verb + to + infinitive       

                                              ( agree/claim/decide /refuse /offer/promise )

 -"Yes, I'll help you," he said.                        He agreed to help us.  

 -'I'm good at helping people,' he said       He claimed to be good at helping people.

 - I think I'll help you,"                                 He said. He decided to help us.

 -'I won't help you, he said.                         He refused to help us

 -'Shall I help you?" he said                         He offered to help us

 - Don't worry, I'll help you," he said.          He promised to help us

verb  +  object  + to + infinitive

                 ( advice/encourage / order/ persuade/ remind / warn

 -If I were you, I'd study hard," he said.                              He advised me to study hard

-Go on, study hard and you'll get good marks, he said.    He encouraged me to study hard

-"Study !" he said .                                                              He ordered me to study 

-"You should watch this new TV show", he said      He persuaded me to watch that new TV show

-"Don't forget to study hard," he said.                    He reminded me to study hard

-"Study! Don't waste your time,' he said.                He warned me not to waste my time

verb  +  -ing form  

                 ( admit/deny/recommend/suggest  

 I took your dictionary                                      He admitted taking my dictionary

 I didn't take your dictionary, he said.              He denied taking my dictionary

 You should buy this dictionary he said           He recommended buying that dictionary

Let's get a dictionary, he said                          He suggested getting a dictionary

 

verb + preposition  + -ing form

                        ( apologise for /  complain of / insist on 

' I'm sorry I lost your pen, he said                                   He apologised for losing my pen

My back hurts, he said complain of insist on                  He complained of having a bad back

'Don't be silly I will buy a new pan for you, he said         He insisted on buying a new pen for me

 

verb + object  + preposition  + -ing form 

                                          (accuse someone of /  congratulate someone on

You cheated in the test," he said.                           He accused me of cheating in the test

"You passed the test! Well done! he said               He congratulated me on passing the test.

 

verb+ that clause        

                       (announce  / complain / demand

-"I'm going to send my college applications, he said

            He announced that he was going to send his college applications

-I don't have time to send my college applications, he said

            He complained that he didn't have time to send his college applications

-Tell me what happened to my college applications he said

           He demanded that I tell him what had happened to his college applications

 

verb + indirect question        

 (enquire /wonder / question )

Can I leave early? he asked.                              He enquired whether he could leave early.

What will my new class be like? he asked         He wondered what his new class would be like.

 Why do we need to write our answers by hand? he asked     He questioned why they needed to write their answers  by hand.

Choose the correct answer from a,b,c or d:

1.          I ……….… my sister not to sit on that broken chair.

a) complained           b) warned                              c) admitted                             d) mentioned

2.          Gabriel  ……….… Susan  to see a specialize .

a) insisted                  b) explained                           c) said                                     d) advised

3.          The instructor ……….… us to work in pairs.

a) encouraged         b) blamed                               c) admitted                             d) explained

4.          My tutor................... to me that the private  would start later on Saturday  .

a) told                         b) explained                         c) asked                                 d) informed

5.          Now you ...................... that you are  not proud of what you  had done.

a) told                         b) advised                              c) wondered                          d) admitted

6.      I .................. my parents to let me go on holiday with my friends.

a) suggested             b) begged                             c) declared                             d) mentioned

7.      Albert .................... for forgetting his  friend's birthday party.

a) ordered                  b) admitted                             c) apologised                       d) insisted

8.          He  promised that he ..................... us the next morning.

a) will phone             b) would phone                   c) phoned                              d) had phoned

9.          He says that Paris .....................  the capital of France .

a) is                            b) be                                       c) had been                           d) is being

10.      He  told me  that he was sure he had seen me  there .....................

a) last week               b) next week                          c) the week after       d) the week before

11.      I ……….… about the price of the new sunglasses .

a) told                         b) said                                    c) denied                                d) inquired

12.      The manager  .................. that we could leave a bit earlier ..

a) admitted                 b) convinced                          c) persuaded                         d) agreed

13.      He ................... the children not to touch these wires  over  there.

a) denied                    b) suggested                         c) wondered                          d) warned

14.      She ...................her friend  Lilly  that she needed to go to the dentist.

a) reminded              b) remembered                     c) said                                     d) admitted

15.   Soha said that she had gone to bed early....................

a) now                        b) today                                  c) that night                          d) tonight

16.   John.................. to go to France on holiday.

a) said                        b) decided                            c) admitted                             d) told

17 . He said just now that no one……………  to leave.

a)  be allowed                        b) were allowed          c) is being allowed            d) is allowed

18.   He  apologized for ................ rude to my little brother

a) being                     b) be                                      c) not being                           d) was

19  He  says that  he ………. to Canada

a) would travel           b) travels                               c) will travel                           d) could travel

20     They said they...............me there in the cafĂ©  the following  Friday.

 a) were meeting     b) are going to meet             c- will meet                             d- met

21        He admitted that he had arrived late the night.............

 a) next                       b) then                                    c- after                                    d-before


No comments: